Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crunch Time

The first pilgrims (I, among them) will arrive at Rapid City Regional Airport at 4:30 on Thursday morning.  The rest will follow a little later, and by late in the day, we will all be restlessly hanging around our departure gate at Dulles International in Washington, D.C.  I saw one of the pilgrims at Mass this morning.  She is so excited that she woke up early enough to come to the morning Mass.  I will be seeing other pilgrims this evening as they arrive at my house in order to catch a ride to the airport tomorrow morning.  As luck would have it, we have a seminarian in residence here.  He drew the short straw; it falls on him to deliver us there by 4:30 AM.  Seeing no other practical way to do it, I will be up to celebrate Mass at 3:30 AM.  Is it even worth going to bed tonight?

In the meanwhile, there are still a million details to attend to.  I need to buy batteries for our radios.  I need a watch.  I need to get a camera.  I need to find a keyboard for the iPad from which I will be blogging (assuming that we can find wifi).  I need to pack, and try to remember all the things everyone else needs plus the things I need as a leader.  I have found my passport, and it is sitting on my desk waiting to be transferred to my day pack.  I need to get cash to be converted upon arrival in Spain.  All these details that I have been "getting around to" suddenly require immediate attention.  So be it.  By this time tomorrow, I'll already be on my way.  You Holy Patrons of World Youth Day, pray for us!  Hasta la proxima vez! 

No comments:

Post a Comment